Sunday, October 26, 2008

Installation of infusion port

Finally after so many weeks of postponement because my wound did not heal may surgeon told on 22nd of October : "Tomorrow we will have the operation." As I confessed before I am really a coward and even if I wanted it done ,I was afraid so I asked if we may postpone it for a week more.
And my doctor said:"Hey you can certainly work on it - develop a fever by tomorrow morning, otherwise it is a date, I will see you tomorrow in O.R. ".
So yours very truly found herself at 8:00 AM in the hospital. After all the new paper work only at 10:30 petrified Katie was wheeled into pre-operation's room where they give you anesthesia. I was worried for the nurse because she had to get a sedative in my vein; and as I told you there are no veins, but somehow she managed on the first try and I was relaxing and did not know what was happening when I was rudely awakened... I was taken to recuperation room, given some food and discharged.
I love the discharge instructions: no driving, no shower for the first 24 hours, but sex is OK!!!
I have to tell you that anticipation is a lot more stressful than the real thing. I did not experience any pain during the operation and after it was manageable, I did not take any painkillers. The day after the operation there was a telephone call - my surgeon called himself to find out how I was feeling and if I was in any pain. Let me tell you I was touched, because as far as I know very few doctors do that. No wonder I have a crush on him... Who would not be-a dashing trim fellow in blue operation overalls.
Now the second waiting game starts; my incisions (there are two) have to heal before they both (the surgeon and oncologist) allow me to have chemo therapy. But I am quite patient; like in the operation room I say "God do what and when you think it is right". So consciously I do not worry, but for some reason I can not sleep... Interesting, ha!

No comments: