Friday, October 17, 2008

Humor

I always thought that in order to survive in this world in one piece without ending up in mental institution one must have a good sense of humor. It helped tremendously during my long life. And now I am finding it even more imperative to have it and use it. And trying to find something funny in every situation and also laugh at yourself.
My experiences with doctors, nurses and other medical personnel, who when you meet them are just professionals doing their job and are usually aloof and do not appear to show any empathy, and the atmosphere is very formal; all of a sudden if you interject humor in your conversation becomes more relaxed and caring.
When after the operation I have told my surgeon that he always has to wear blue because I found him to look so handsome in his surgeon dark blue overalls; it produced a chuckle and a smile.
When I make funny remarks about myself we all (nurses in hospitals) laugh and the tension, the impersonal attitude changes. When I said: "No boobs, no hair, no teeth" and then produced and demonstrated a special bras, a wig and a denture - everybody was hysterical and I got a lot of compliments.
I want to share one humorous experience with my trip to special bra shop. A very lovely lady
gave me a bras with one pocket in which you put a silicon replica of your removed breast. I took the bras in my hand and made a double take it weighted a "ton", it was so heavy, and the shop owner explained that it was the same weight as my natural breast. Well ladies that is one way to reduce! No wonder when their weighted me in doctors office I was 8 pounds lighter. That is the way to go. On a more serious note I want to tell you that it was a difficult task to find that special bras shop. I went to American Cancer Society on the Internet, but they directed me to shops in Manhattan. And only by the word of mouth from somebody who new somebody I found that wonderful shop in my own backyard in Glen Head, L.I. (Lillys Bra & Wig shop)

1 comment:

ccnablogger said...

"With the fearful strain that is on me night and day, if I did not laugh I should die."
Abraham Lincoln.
Your a very strong and intellegent person.