Saturday, October 11, 2008

How I Discovered my Breast Cancer

On radio they repeat "that every three (3) minutes in USA a woman is diagnosed with breast cancer", a very sobering news - that is why I decided to write my blog.

waking up

On June 1st, 2008, I woke up with a redness and soreness on my right breast. It was also bleeding from the nipple. I went to a medical station doctor (because my doctor was not available)who gave me antibiotics and gently told me: "I am afraid it may be cancer". The redness, soreness and bleeding stopped after couple of days; I went to my family doctor who looked at my breast and started to call an oncologist and a surgeon immediately, telling me "Katie I am afraid it is cancer". I have to confess that this good doctor for six(6) long years urged me to have mammogram done, but stubborn me postponed it - because after loosing my husband in 2002 I really did not care about my health too much.
mammogram
I was sent to the hospital for mammogram, which has shown tumors, not one but 3; echo gram was also done, then I was scheduled for biopsy.
biopsy
Being extremely afraid of pain, I was petrified, but had to have it done for proper diagnosis and location. Well I hope my experience will help someone. Biopsy is a piece of cake; you feel a little prick and then no more pain. The biopsy confirmed the diagnosis and I was told to schedule the operation.
sharing information
I am a peoples person and do not hide what is happening to me; so when I went to my church, during coffee hour I was telling my story to my friends. I am glad that two ladies who did not go regularly to have their mammogram done went after listening to me.
meeting with surgeon
Ask as many questions as you want; feel inside if you are at ease with the doctor; see if he is willing to spend time and answer all your questions and concerns; talk to people who were operated by him; read about your cancer (by now you got the preliminary diagnosis) on internet - "American Cancer Society" is a good start. Talk to people who had breast cancer and find as much as possible from them - what to ask, what to watch out for.
First I had an appointment with a surgeon who told me he will do the removal of tumors only or lumpectomy; but I thought it would be prudent to cut out the whole breast. He reserved his judgment till the operation; it seems there is a new test available now. Before the operation they inject the affected breast with blue dye this dye travels to your lymph nodes and colors only the ones that have cancer cells. The injection before the operation is uncomfortable but one realizes that it has to be performed.
operation
Before the operation my surgeon discovered that four (4) lymph nodes were affected or had cancer cells. So he agreed with my intuitive feeling and decided to perform mastectomy or removing the whole (right) breast and additional four lymph nodes. Out of eight lymph nodes removed four were subsequently found to have cancer cells, proving that the dye test was correct. The operation went smoothly; after it I did not feel too uncomfortable, but rather tired.
Usually patients go home after two days, but my surgeon and my family doctor decided to keep me four days.
after operation
Besides feeling tired, nauseated, the leakage from the tubes that are placed in the place where the breast was is the most annoying issue. It leaks around the tubes, which are small in diameters (there are two) - so all your garments are wet and you have to change them frequently. A good advise is to wear 100% cotton because it allows the air to circulate.

No comments: