Friday, November 7, 2008

First chemotherapy

I think the fear of unknown and anxiety is worth then reality. I was told that the procedure will take about 3 hours - the reality was 7,5 hours. Because the knowledgeable experienced nurse was very careful. It started with the infusion port: a little prick(not painful) and then they insert the needle with an empty syringe and try to draw out some blood; well in my case they could not. The nurse explained some times the catheter is lodged against the wall of the vein - so they move you up, down, sideways - no go. Then they inject into port a medicine that stays there for 1/2 hour at the end of which if there is a small blood drop it will dissolve - nothing happened; the procedure was repeated without result, In the mean time there were hydrating me - putting saline solution, benadril against chemo reaction, drug against nausea. Then they send me to X-ray to check if the tube was going to the vein inside properly. That took about 1-1/2 hour because that they had to put a dye in to properly see the blood flow. It was OK. And they started giving me the first drug and watched me - because an adverse reaction can start immediately, Thank God it was bearable; the second drug was administered after the first and I went home around 5:00 PM , a little wobbly but managed with help from friend. It is always advisable to have someone to take you home.
The only disturbing thought that is that when blood has to be drawn and it has to be done quite frequently it has to be done thru ' veins in the arm; and my veins are practically not existing, so it is an ordeal for me and my nurses or technicians and I have black and blue marks for ages.
I will talk about side effect later, but have to tell you the fear was worst than reality.

No comments: