Saturday, May 2, 2009

GOOD NEWS

All tests were done: blood and whole body PET which I described in my last blog.
I experienced two days of fear and anxiety because the technician told me that - yes sometimes they find new cancer. I could not sleep and was contemplating whether I should do another round of chemo or radiation or just quit if they find anything. Technically the lab technician was right, but I wish they would not tell this to patients.
Well on 30th of April I went to see my oncologist and she was beaming when she said I have good news for you; all tests are negative. No tumors in the body were discovered and PET scan of the body, when compared to last years has shown:
- lymph nodes were reduced in size and cold, showing no cancer activity; no metastasis discovered. So for the next 5 years (assuming I live that long) I have to take one pill a day-
Arimidex. Some data:This drug is an aromatase inhibitor given to postmenopausal woman to
block aromatase, an enzyme needed to make estrogen. My cancer needs hormones
to grow and is called hormone receptor positive. Hormone receptor-positive
tumors appear to grow less aggressively than those that are hormone receptor negative.
Women with tumors that are hormone receptor positive have a lower risk for recurrence.
After menopause estrogen is produced by the adrenal glands.
There are a lot of side effects but I will write about them when and if they occur.
One last thought - I could not have done chemo if I did not have a support of my family and friends and their prayers. So please continue to pray for me.

No comments: